Talk to Your Doctor

When you are experiencing stress or worry, or feeling overwhelmed, it can help to talk about what you are going through. Talking to people you trust can be a good source of support.

If you are not comfortable doing this, there are other people that can help including your doctor. Your doctor will also be able to advise you about online therapies and self-help options available near you.

You may be able to use the HealthDirect website to find your doctor's contact details and opening hours.

Bushfire and Flood Psychological Therapy Services

Do you find yourself avoiding things or activities that remind you of the bushfires or floods? Do you feel restless, irritable or tense and you're not sure why? Are you having trouble falling or staying asleep? If you were affected by the 2019/20 bushfires or 2021 Floods and live in the Blue Mountains, Hawkesbury, Lithgow or Penrith areas, you might benefit from talking to someone who can help.

Up to 10 free sessions with a professional are available. 

How do I access the service?

Talk to your GP or call 1800 595 212  Monday to Friday, 8.30am-5:00pm (except public holidays).

More Information

Who is it for?

It is available to anyone in our region experiencing high levels of distress resulting from the 2019/20  bushfires or 2021 Floods. 

Eligibility Criteria

  • Any individual living in Blue Mountains, Hawkesbury, Lithgow or Penrith
  • Individuals must be referred by their GP, psychiatrist or paediatrician
  • Individuals are entitled to up to 10 free face-to-face sessions (until June 2022) 
  • No Centrelink issued pension or Health Care Card is required
  • No Mental Health Care Plan is required, however your GP may choose to complete one at their discretion
  • Where appropriate, couples or family members who meet the eligibility criteria may be referred and seen together rather than individually
  • Individuals currently receiving services under other PTS steams are eligible for sessions under this new stream
  • Individuals who use services through the Better Access Bushfire Recovery initiative can also access this PTS stream, and vice versa.

Print out this information